Santa Clara County ADU is Live!
Click the blue “download” button to the left or see below for a shareable PDF flyer.
Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Resources
Newly launched in 2023, Santa Clara County ADU offers free resources to help residents through the entire process of building an ADU in Santa Clara County. By encouraging the development of ADUs, our communities can build new homes for our neighbors, children, and grandparents, and help our region thrive. Santa Clara County ADU is one of many efforts of the Santa Clara County Planning Collaborative–a shared initiative among all the jurisdictions in Santa Clara County to help ensure that everyone in the County has access to a safe, secure, and affordable home.
These resources will help you learn more about ADUs, what is possible on your property, and how to get started:
- SCC ADU Website: Look at floorplans, hear from neighbors about what they built, and download the free ADU Guidebook.
- ADU Process & Important Information: See an overview of the ADU process and things to consider.
- Local ADU Rules: Learn about the ADU rules and regulations and find contact information for local departments and staff.
- ADU Glossary: Explore frequently used terms.
- ADU Calculator: Estimate potential building costs, rent, and return on investment.
What are ADUs and JADUs?
ADUs – also called granny flats, converted garages, or basement apartments – are flexible spaces that meet the changing needs of households over time. ADUs can be attached or detached from the primary home, are generally between 150 and 1000 square feet, and must have their own entryway, kitchen and bathroom.
JADUs are located within the existing footprint of a home, including an attached garage, and are no more than 500 square feet. They also need their own entryway and a small kitchen, and may share a bathroom with the main home.
Your ADU will grow with you and can change to fit your needs, from a home for your loved ones to building your savings or supporting the community. To learn more about ADUs visit aduscc.org.